Friday, January 20, 2012

Antique Table Makeover

We acquired an antique radio table that had a faux wood finish on it.  I forgot to take a real before pic but you can sorta see the finish on the legs.
I wanted a vintage/faux antique finish with a modern flair for this table and chose white for the final color.
I started by sanding and using wood glue to repair the edges.  I then primed with Zinsser 3-1 Primer.  For the "under color" I wanted it to pop- so I chose navy (!).  This layer doesn't have to be perfect because you will paint over it.  I next took a candle and waxed the edges/areas I wanted the blue to show through.  I painted 2 coats of white matte paint (left in our basement from the previous owner) and lighted sanded the edges and area I wanted the blue to come through and tah-dah!  I decided to add a light gold glaze to highlight some of the carved features then I finished the table with a light layer of polyurethane. 

The "before"
Sanded and holes filled with wood putty
With Zinsser primer

Navy over the primer
After 2 coats of white, waxing and sanding
Finished table

No comments:

Post a Comment