Sunday, January 22, 2012

Contemporary Canvas Artwork

This was my inspiration: Joann's Project

I wanted something large enough to hang over my mantel and in the blues/ teals/ greens family.  I used my living room pattern as my color family.  I got a multipack of canvas and small tubes of acrylic paint.  In the Joann's piece they only used 5 colors (one per diagonal) I wanted to used 9 colors to bring in all the colors of my living room.  They also used 9 4"x4" squares, I wanted something larger.  Michaels had 12" x 12" in a 7 pack or 8" x 10 " in a 10 pack.. I went for the non-squares in a 10 pack.  The whole project supplies cost me 18$.

Materials:

  • canvas squares/ rectangles
  • acrylic paint
  • large brush
  • small brush for the swirls
  • palette (I used a Tupperware lid!)


To make the 9 colors, I chose 6 colors (they were 3/1$) and started with the lightest and painted my first block.  I then added a squirt of another color to the left over paint and mixed it and painted block #2.  I then added another squirt of a different color to paint block #3 and kept adding and mixing colors until I had all 9 blocked painted.  I thought this was the best way to make them cohesive and in the pallet I wanted.
After all 9 were finished I let them dry and walked away.  The next day I ordered them and swirled gold glazed (left over from the antique table redo) in random patterns over the top.
Living room pattern (it's peacock from Pier 1 Imports! <3 )
18$ of supplies from Michael's
My acrylic colors (L -> R: Apple Tart, Vert Green, Aqua, Turquoise, Peacock Blue, Navy)
The finished 9 color blocks after being ordered

With gold swirls

Now to figure out how to put it above the mantel...


No comments:

Post a Comment