Sunday, January 29, 2012

quick and dirty jean repair

So I wore a 2 inch hole into my favorite pair of jeans.  Why don't I go buy a new pair?  Well Banana Republic seriously downgraded the material they make their jeans out of and I haven't found a new brand.

Conveniently, my sewing machine has 42 yards of paneling in it that I am not going to disturb.  So I needed a fix for my jeans that was fast and no sew.

Enter the quick and dirty patch...

Materials:
  • no-sew heat bond
  • jean patch
  • iron
  • jeans with hole
First, turn jeans inside out.  Cut portion of no sew heat bond long enough to cover hole, place shiny side down, paper side up.  Iron on medium heat for 15 seconds.  Let cool and re-iron making sure to get edges really well.  Let cool.  Cut jean patch to just cover no sew heat bond strip.  I chose to use jean patch that also had heat fusible bonding on it (hence I am using it backwards) but the no sew heat bond is generally used to bond just fabric to fabric so any cloth should work.
On medium high heat, iron jean patch on.  Let cool and flip jeans right-side out.  Tah-dah!

jean patch

sorry for the blurry image, but this is the heat bond
the hole :(


ironing on the no sew heat bond- paper up

hole with no sew heat bond ironed on

finished! 
jean patch (again right side up since mine had heat fusible backing)

No comments:

Post a Comment